Plate Heat Exchanger Specification
- Furnish and deliver to jobsite Plate & Frame Heat Exchangers with capacity and sizes as shown on the project plans (HVAC schedules).
- Plate Heat Exchanger selections shall be verified by the manufacturer to provide the required heat transfer area for the operating conditions and pressure drops as specified on the schedules and/or drawings.
- Plate & Frame Heat Exchanger shall be shipped completely assembled, free standing, pressure tested at factory, flushed clean, dried, and ready for connection at jobsite.
- When field erection is required, the manufacturer shall pressure test units at factory, flushed clean & dried, then knocked-down and properly crated and marked for erection at jobsite. Manufacturer's supervision will be required at jobsite and warranties as factory assembled units shall remain in effect.
B. PLATE & FRAME DESIGN
- The frame assembly shall be of bolted construction to allow field erection on site, where required. Welded frame assemblies are not acceptable. Lifting lugs designed to allow lifting of the entire unit to be provided.
- All inlet and outlet connections to be located in fixed cover. Same side flow pattern is preferable.
- The Plate unit shall be designed to withstand full design pressure in each circuit independently. The entire unit shall be hydrostatically tested according to the ASME Code, Sect. VIII, Div. 1 for 1.3x Design Pressure at maximum working temperature.
- The Plate & Frame Exchanger shall have the capacity for future expansion of at least 20% additional plates.
C. PLATE & FRAME CONSTRUCTION
- Fixed and moveable covers shall be able to withstand the given Design Pressure without added reinforcement or stiffeners. The moveable cover shall be provided with a heavy duty roller bearing assembly for units 3" diameter and greater. The cover plate material shall be a corrosion resistant carbon steel (SA-516-70) cleaned (sandblasted), primed and enamel or epoxy painted.
- Stainless steel (SA-240, 304SS or 316SS) plates pressed with a herringbone corrugation to optimize heat transfer shall be provided. Thickness shall not be less than 0.4mm. Plates to be reinforced at carrying bar groove to prevent distortion and misalignment. Plates to be provided with an alignment design, preferably an interlocking mechanism pressed into each plate which interlocks with its adjacent plate providing a precise plate-to-plate alignment to assure proper sealing of the plate pack.
- A one piece molded elastomer gasket compatible with the fluids shown on the plans. The gasket shall have relief grooves in the double gasketed areas to prevent any cross-contamination between the hot and cold fluids. Gaskets to be Nitrile (NBR) rubber (for non-steam applications) where maximum working temperatures are below 250 °F.
- CARRYING BARS
- Each plate shall be supported and guided by a top & bottom carrying bar, which accurately locates the plates within the frame assembly. The top bar that contacts the stainless steel plates shall be machined stainless steel surface that provides ease of movement of the plates. Upon opening of the unit, the carrying bar design shall permit removal of any one plate within the plate pack without removing adjacent plates.
- Piping connections 3" diameter and larger shall be studded port design. Piping connections less than 3" diameter shall be externally threaded type MNPT stainless steel.
- TIGHTENING BOLTS
- High tensile strength carbon steel (SA-193, B7) bolts shall be provided. Both fixed and free nuts shall be heavy duty carbon steel (SA-194, 2H). The bolts, nuts and washers shall be zinc plated.
- FRAME SUPPORT PADS
- Steel base plates for anchoring to the floor shall be provided. The Frame shall be provided with an end support (outrigger), for units with port sizes 3" and larger.
- PROTECTIVE SHROUD & INSULATION
- Galvanized Steel protective shroud shall enclose exterior plate bundle. Factory insulation of Plate & Frame unit, if required, shall be shown on plans.
D. CODE REQUIREMENTS
- The manufacturer or his agent must be registered with the National Board. The Plate & Frame Heat Exchanger shall be designed and tested to the latest ASME Code, Sect. VIII, Div. 1 requirements. Design Pressure and maximum working temperatures shall be in accordance with project plans.
- OPTIONAL (as per project plans) the unit shall be stamped with "U" symbol and the Engineer shall be furnished with a completed U-1 FORM to submit to the Owner.
- Upon receipt of order, the manufacturer may, submit within 1 week, the required number of Certified Prints and guarantee performance data.
- One (1) set will be required to be returned to manufacturer marked "APPROVED" or with comments and corrections as required.
- Manufacturer to submit Installation, Operation and Maintenance Manuals.
- Install in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.
- Plate & Frame Exchanger manufacturer shall have a minimum of 5 years experience.
- Acceptable manufacturers: PLATE CONCEPTS or approved equal.
Plate & Spiral Heat Exchangers
For projects that specify spiral heat exchangers as well, we work together with our sister company Gooch Thermal Systems to provide a complete heat exchanger package to our customers.